Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Journal 27: October 14

While reading Consumer Reports in the Olin Health Center waiting room today, I discovered an article regarding Web safety. It basically said the only way to be safe online is to use a subscription-based anti-virus program. It also said the "I'll trust my Mac to be immune" method doesn't work at all.

Here's the thing. I have a Macintosh PowerBook G4 I purchased in mid-2003. It managed to stay in perfect condition until very very recently. By perfect condition, I mean the thing has behaved every day just as it did on day one. In fact, the recent "problem" I alluded to is simply a minor slowing down and a few sticking keys. Considering how long it has given me top-flight performance, this thing was well-worth the $2000-something price tag I worked all summer '03 to pay.

So what am I getting at? Well, at no point in time, despite continuous Internet use, has my steed been harnessed by an anti-virus program. Not once. And yet, it's shown no known repercussions.

Now, maybe I've gotten lucky. Maybe it's because I don't partake in adult-oriented sites. Maybe it's because an infection just hasn't happened yet. Or maybe it's because the Mac-based system of Web protection actually works.

Yes, I will have to purchase a new computer next semester so I can use Dreamweaver (and also because my version of OS X isn't compatible with much anymore and 30gig hard drives no longer cut it), but I don't know that I'll bother with Norton or McAfee. I think this system works for me.

I will miss this old friend, though.

No comments: