Sunday, November 9, 2008

Journal 36: November 9

I'm a little stuck on a decision I'm trying to make.

My poor little computer is starting to die. Of course, it still runs. It just runs a little slow, simple tasks it used to perform give me the Spinning Pinwheel of Death, and some of the not-so-technological aspects of it (the latch, battery) are starting to cause trouble. Also, I'm going to purchase Dreamweaver and Photoshop before my senior year, so I can take Advanced Web Authoring without having to go from my apartment to a computer lab every day. There's no way my Panther OS X will survive these kind of programs if it can't even run iTunes consistently anymore. Oh, and I have under five gigs of memory left on my hard drive and a full external (deleting my music collection is not an option). Basically, it's time for a new computer.

So I've decided on getting a Macbook Pro. It's the new version of the durable computer I've had since late 2002/early 2003, and I'm hoping for similar luck this time. I mean, if I get four years out of my next one, I'll be more than happy. If I get six years, like I did with my current one, I'll be overjoyed. I think it just might work out again.

Here's the deal... It would be wonderful, but not necessary, to purchase the notebook next semester. I can get away with waiting until the summer if my PowerBook holds out, but I'm not sure if that will happen - again, it's starting to die. But it looks like Apple is coming out with a new version of OS X (Snow Leopard). Of course, its release date hasn't been announced, and bloggers are saying it should be at least the second quarter of 2009. Normally, it should seem obvious that it's worth waiting for. Except that I'd be getting the first version of Snow Leopard. That means glitches galore. Should I wait even longer, and put off taking Advanced Web Authoring until Spring 2010? Should I purchase it next semester and use the last version of Leopard? Should I take the risk that the first version of Snow Leopard won't have too many glitches, and that simple update downloads will suffice?

It's kind of giving me a headache.

1 comment:

RJD said...

There's never really a perfect moment (aside from a sale) to buy a computer because, like a new car, it is obsolete once you drive it off the lot or, in the computer's case, start UP the hard drive. It's a sad joke, I know, but very true.

If your current machine is that bad off you might just want to get a new computer now. The new macbooks are quite amazing. And no, I don't get bonus from anyone for saying that.